Who is maiabey?

As I seek to define and re-define myself artistically, I often go to my source and discover lost tools. Maybe even some underutilized tools. In particular, my spiritual forging tool; what I use to allow the/my/our creative source to work me, mold me and shape my vision. So I thought it appropriate to embrace a working definition of who maiabey is and what it has forged itself into being so far.


MODERN.AFRICAN.INSPIRED.ARTS






Modern-of, pertaining to, or characteristic of contemporary styles of art, literature, music, etc., that reject traditionally accepted or sanctioned forms and emphasize individual experimentation and sensibility
African- denoting or relating to Africa or any of its peoples, languages, nations, cultures etc.
Inspired- aroused, animated, imbued with the spirit to do something, by or as if by supernatural or divine influence.
Arts- the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance






The name came as a way to capture all the creative layers of my work. I wanted a certain sound and a play on words with multiple meanings. One word that would encapsulate several words and link them all to ART! Maia has several meanings from various sources, all together feminine, most beautiful, and close to god...okay? Modern African Inspired Arts is my personal Sankofa, its my symbolic and living, breathing  reclamation of the past and utilizing it to push forward into the future. Sankofa allows us to be ourselves, respect the ancestral connection and gives us permission to enter into the future as a whole being, hopefully taking with us a worthwhile legacy.

~m.a.i.a bey~


I am often challenged internally to think about what Art is in its many layers, what it means to me and if my point is getting across.  In the past, there were a set of rules that were followed by the mainstream. Then there were those folks who decided that change was necessary and refused to do what had already been done before, they wanted to take it further. I am a part of that group. My philosophy is "there is nothing new under the sun, except when I do it."


.
  I've always been deeply connected to African art. I am in awe of the simplicity of the lines and shapes and at the same time the complexity of its form. I have purposefully centered my life around African people, culture, art, language, movement and music. So everything I create has been influenced by this thinking. Somehow even in non-traditional(African) spaces, I usually have to make them bend to conform to an African aesthetic. Unapologetically infusing African energy into those spaces was necessary for my sanity! I am at the point now that even if I tried to do something outside of that realm it still would have Africa all over it. I can't even help it!






My process: beg for, find, collect, acquire, hoard, touch, smell, vibe on, put down, look at next to, meditate, focus, allow spirit entry(not quite trance), then I flow through the chosen material to create art.
I utilize everyday materials and coax them into being extra-ordinary!
Materials range from vintage beads from broken necklaces,
fleamarket finds, destash from friends and family, found on the side of the road, scraps of fabric, leather, beans, seeds, nuts, plastic cups, tin cans, raffia, shells, telephone wire, CDs, stones, computer components, paper beads, bottle tops, old records, feathers, coins, paper and anything else you could possibly think of! 
Here are some samples of my work: 













Be sure to check out my etsy page to see more and to get your own maiabey earArt! I create one of a kind pieces, custom orders and specials, let me know your needs. MAIA Bey

Keep your eyes open for the Spring line; Tropical Chocolate, featuring leather and fabric flowers in an assortment of colors, textures and styles. Don't miss the Freedom line of etched acrylic bangles, kuffz and earArt, Spiritluv Orisha themed pieces, Prayer Pouchez, Mxd Meedyah, and the Frendz line of friendship bracelets for grown-ups this Summer.
STAY TUNED!

Follow this link and the instructions to win some maiabey earArt and some other wonderful gifts:
Smell Goods '98™ Blog: 10+10= 1(maybe 2) | Extravagant Indie Giveaway | Women's History Month 2012




2 comments:

  1. Oh, I will stay tuned! This is some great food, S. I was like mmhmm the whole read. You know, the type of mmhmm that the older folks give. I feel even more connected to MAIA. Your own Sankofa--very similar to how I feel about my business tag line. Tropical Chocolate and Frendz have peaked my curiosity.

    Mmhmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give thanks Itiel...glad to connect more with you! I love your products! s/n they are apart of my Oshun ritual everyday when I want some attention form the bruhs, a little Honey Medley or Citrus Medley does the trick...sometimes I layer them...and whoa!!!Don't let me have yellow on too....umjussayin! I am textin everyday to get in the store!

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts??

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Sauda Jackson is a mom, dancer, singer, musician, lover of all things funky and off-beat,guerrilla dance stylist, arm-chair anthropologist and Supa Hera